2.17.2010

Plato's Atlantis

So, I'm going to be honest, I feel kind of awkward blogging about Alexander McQueen after he just recently died. But let's just say this in memory of him...because after all, he was a fabulicious designer. Love him. I remember when I first saw/heard of him, it was because on America's Next Top Model, the models were doing a little mini-runway show wearing his designs, and they had these big, exotic-looking cockroaches crawling on them. I was enthralled, to say the least.

Anyway...S/S 2010 collection, Plato's Atlantis.

Apparently, it's gotten mixed reviews (especially about the shoes...but more on that in a sec!). I personally, luuurve it. It's ethereal. Reptilian. Graceful, yet hard. Graphic. Leathery. As I was watching the show (on his website, not in real life...HAH) I honestly felt like I was underwater. The opening video sequence is eerie, draws you in.

The models themselves were styled to resemble fish as well, with gill-like, crimpy hair, and fin-like crests of hair styled at the crown of the head.

The silhouettes themselves, I really like. They're mostly pretty short and highly structured, bearing digital prints that are like a mix of reptile skins, and I can definitely see some butterfly and moth -ishness going on in there. It's really very beautiful. I also saw some moss green satin, gold, watery blues, and tulle.

And, the best part, in my opinion, THE SHOESSS!



The silhouette most seen in the show is the hoof/lobster claw-ish one (left and right, above). I for one absolutely am in love with it, though apparently they're 10 inches high and I would never be able to walk in them. I've been asking around, though, and apparently they're ugly? Sure, they're not that cute, but I think they're going to catch on in the industry. They're really innovative and fresh. The silhouette in the middle, you may recognize from Gaga's video for Bad Romance. Probably more wearable than Hoof Shoe...but I still like Hoof Shoe more.

And finally, some of my favorite looks from the collection:









images courtesy style.com

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the bday wishes!
    yes, the shoes are the best part of this show. not to mention the crazy hair and make-up <33

    ReplyDelete